Scallops are bivalve mollusks and are one of Canada’s most important commercial shellfish species. The scallop is possibly best known for its beautiful and distinctive circular-shaped shell that can reach up to 20 cm in size.
Sea scallops are found densely concentrated on sandy, gravel bottoms. Sea scallops can be found in waters at depths as shallow as 10 metres and as deep as 384 metres. The harvestable offshore concentrations are found on banks at depths between 35 metres to 120 metres. On average, sea scallops need four to five years to reach commercial size. Sea scallops can live up to 21 years.
Sea scallops are suspension filter feeders and their diet consists mainly of plankton. Before settling on the seabed, scallop mortality is high as scallop larvae may be eaten by larger organisms, including zoo plankton and fish, or transported away from favourable habitats by currents. The main predators of adult sea scallops are sea stars, crabs, lobster and various ground fish.
Fisheries and Oceans Canada website:
Pan seared Digby scallop with apple butterEnjoy this treat for your taste buds — pan seared Digby scallop with apple butter.
1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
12 ea 10-20ct Digby scallops
Sea salt and pepper to taste
2 ea medium gravestien apple
1/4 lb butter
8oz apple ciderYield: 12 ea H’ors D’ouevres
1. Peel one apple, cut in quarters and place in a small pot with the apple cider and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the apple and puree in a food processor. Set aside to cool.
2. Dice the second apple into 1/8 inch pieces, leave the peel on.
3. Blend 1/2 of the pureed apple and butter together.
4. Heat a medium cast Iron pan for 2-3 minutes, add the olive oil and scallops. Sear for 1-2 minutes without moving the scallops, turn them over, add 1 tablespoon of apple butter and sear for another minute.
5. In a second pan sauté the apples for 2-3 minutes on high heat with 1 tablespoon of apple butter.
Pan Fried Scallops - You Tube: http://youtu.be/Q-fIjFrPjJU
Bon appeti with food from the sea.
Retire or semi-retire in Liverpool by the sea